Trend to Try: Braids
Braided styles feel fresh for fall, especially when worn in an up-do. This pretty style (courtesy of Aveda) works for all hair types, from fine and straight to thick and curly.
- Prep hair with a texturizer and blow dry hair smooth. Try Aveda Pure Abundance Style Prep, $24 at aveda.com.
- Use a tail comb to make a straight center part from forehead to nape of neck.
- Make an inverted fishtail braid on each side of the head, beginning at the crown and working to the back of the ear. Secure the end of each braid with an elastic band.
- Use hairspray to tame flyaways. You’ll like Aveda Air Control Hair Spray, $24 at aveda.com.
- Add some fullness by gently massaging braids.
- Fold the braids over one another across the back of the head, just above the nape, in a crisscross fashion. Tuck ends under and secure with bobby pins.
- Finish with a light mist of hair spray for staying power.
(photography and style how-to courtesy of Aveda)