We asked Jenny Balding, NYC Cutler/Redken Styling and Grooming Expert for her favorite Oscar hair and tips for getting the look at home. Here’s what she had to say:
- Start by blow drying hair with a round brush to create body, volume and slight wave to the ends.
- Separate into two sections. Take the crown and front section and pin to one side then leave the underneath section out.
- Sweep the underneath section into a chignon that hugs the curve of the head.
- Take the top section and back brush under the crown area to create padding and volume and twist lightly and secure into chignon.
- Finish by gently loosening some shorter pieces to frame the face and mist with a light hairspray – I love Redken fashion work 12 and it is very versatile and light to work with.
- Create a deep side part wherever works best for your face shape and hairline.
- Blow dry smooth and keep to just a natural volume for this look.
- Mist hair with a light and versatile hairspray like Redken fashion work 12
- Use a medium size curling iron and start by creating the front section first as this will set the tone. Create the wave from underneath the cheekbone.
- Hold the iron vertically and wrap from mid-length to the ends.
- Finish by setting the hair with a stronger hold hairspray. Redken control addict 28 is perfect for this as it holds and creates shine.
- Apply a smoothing, straightening balm, Redken align 12, to clean wet hair.
- Blow dry smooth and wrap the hair back and forward to prevent creating volume.
- Create a deep side part which works best for your face shape and hairline.
- Sweep and tuck behind ears.
- I love Cutler Flyaway stick which is perfect for keeping your strands sleek and glossy all over.
(photography courtesy of Michael Buckner/Getty Images, Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP)